Minangkabau Day 2

rani's picture

The second day we woke up and almost late for breakfast. Indi had a quick shower, I didn't and neither did Noe. Noe slept really soundly, and it was rather difficult to wake him up. But we woke him up anyway, and he was quite fussy in the morning because of this. Luckily, Eyang Kakung took Noe to swing in the playground and Noe's back to his usual self.

After Nasi Goreng breakfast, we boarded the bus for a long drive to Bungus Bay. On the way, we saw a lot of unique sights such as graduation parade for religious schools and various kinds of decorated vehicle. After about one and a half hour drive we arrived at the bay and took the boat to Sikuai Island, a tiny island off Sumatra at Indian Ocean. The boat journey took us 45 minutes.

Also we saw this creature which is often seen roaming the earth with various things on his head. Interested to slap him?

The inland area off Bungus Bay and the offshore islands seemed to be uninhabited virgin forests; we did not see a lot of coastal villages. We passed by several fisherman boats though.

Isabella Atkins and Nick Chang hanging out with Rani and Noe on the boat deck.

We arrived at Sikuai Island pier at about 10.30 am. This island has no native inhabitant and is dedicated for the resort. So the residents of this island are only the hotel staffs. They live in a small staff compound and go to Padang once a week to do their grocery shopping.

As a visitor group to this island, we were given two rooms for the day, one for girls and one for boys. After putting our backpacks in the room, we're off for a hike around the island. The resort owner build concrete pathway around the island. However, there are many broken parts in this pathway and have not been repaired. The path runs through various areas, sometimes it goes above the shallow water, sometimes it runs through the wood, and sometimes on top of the cliff, making the walk an exciting one. Indi took the opportunity to
put his first geocache (Waypoint GCWPWG), hidden behind big rock along the path. I was asked to climb the high rocks to hide it, huh. But that's because he was carrying Noe on his back. Anyways, as a note for his geocache, he wrote,"Your attention may be drawn towards the mainland hills on the other side, but you shall look under a huge horizontally split boulder on the hillside off of the pathway to complete this mission. Please send me a panorama photo of the beautiful site when you get there."

However, the hot weather made Noe thirsty and nothing could quench his thirst except for breastmilk. This is our first time breastfeeding in the forest.

The walk was about five km at the circumference of the island, and it took us a bit more than an hour. The baby backpack was courtesy from Jeffrey Yap.

We arrived back at the resort and lunch was served. But the menu was not as seafood-y as we expected. Nevertheless we filled our empty stomach.

Then we changed into swimsuits and plunged to the sea. The water was really clear and we could see a lot of fish swimming in between our feet. Since the beach where we swam is located at a strait facing the mainland, the water was really calm. And it was warm too.

You can see here the water was quite shallow near the beach. But after about 10 meters of the beach, there was gradual drop into the deep.

Indi, Nick, and Philip went snorkeling first, then they went on teaching the Ho kids snorkeling too, by breathing through the pipe. It was their first time snorkeling and they loved it so much. Philip Ong (rightmost) is teaching Ethan Ho (snorkeling) how to breath using the mouth, not nose, underwater.

Noe was not as afraid to the sea as he had been in Mersing. Now he did not resist being taken into the water. But he was still very clingy to me and refused to step onto the sandy water. He was cautious. Perhaps he was nervous looking at the vastness of the water. But when we started playing games from the swimming class, he started to have fun. However he was shocked to swallow saltwater.

While I was swimming with Noe, Indi and Nick went to the deeper area for snorkeling. The sea was really nice and clear, and the weather was really clear and sunny too. So when Indi went back he invited me to snorkel too, and Nick took care of Noe in the mean time. And it was an amazing sight, I saw a lot of fish, Nemo, Parrotfish, and I don't what's the name and corals too. And I was blessed with a rare sight, I saw an endangered species: A sea turtle. It was perhaps 80 cm in diameter and was swimming very calmly. I tried to get close to him, but he dove deep quite fast, while I couldn't get myself to sink deep into the sea. I wish we had snorkeled early in the morning, when the fish are out to feed themselves. Although there were a lot of fish, there should've been more of them. This is the beach of Sikuai Island. Tranquil beaches, calm and clear waters, plenty of fishes (yes, many kinds not just one).

We closed the swimming session by doing a jump from the jetty.

And this is after the jump. We hang on the sampan boat at the jetty and snorkel around there.

There were thousands of tiny fish at the jetty and we disturbed them a little. Actually there were some local fishermen offering us for a trip to the other islands, but we didn't have enough time. It would be nice to go back and do it.

After a nice shower to shed the salt off the skin, we took the boat back to Bungus Bay and took the bus to Padang. Our bus ride was blessed with sunset view from the cliff road on the left side of the vehicle, at the sea. Funnily, people rode and just sit on the cliff side to enjoy the sunset, and usually they are couples. They hold hands together, enjoying the romantic moment with sunset. Even girls in headscarves too. On the way, we also saw a traffic accident where a car flung into the cliff.

We then went to Christine Hakim shop to buy some local delicacies such as Keripik Sanjai (cassava cracker laced with chili sauce), Keripik Bayam (spinach cracker), Marning (Indonesian style popcorn).

Then the bus took us for a tour around Padang. We passed by the Chinatown, with remnant of old shophouses but they're not conserved like in Malaka. We also saw Chinese temple, and it was quite a new building too. This is the Chinatown area.

We saw getek, a mode of transportation that people use to cross the river which is basically a raft driven by a man tied to a rope that crosses the river.

We also saw that people here are quite relaxed with traffic regulation, like, not wearing helmet while driving motorcycle, and placing little kids on the back of motorcycle without any safety equipment. According to Singapore standard, this is very dangerous.

We passed by the beach area where there were a lot of hawkers. We were offered to eat sea turtle egg, as they are sold in this area, but we politely decline to eat this endangered species.

We closed the day with a great Chinese Indonesian dinner at Sari restaurant. The butter chicken rocked, and also the Sotong. Noe ate chicken and veggies too. Then he's off running around the dining table, playing chase with other kids. Meanwhile, it was raining heavily outside.

When we got into the bed, we overheard some guest were screaming in the football match. It turned out that the match was projected onto big screen at the café.


dear, saya tertarik utk

saya tertarik utk berlibur k sakuai.
boleh minta infonya, bgmn bs mencapai pulau tsb dr saya mendarat di bandara padang. brp lama perjalanan & besar biaya penginapan, mkn jg kalau bs. hehehe
mohon infonya... lgsg ke email saya saja di mmmiiitttaaa@yahoo.com

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.

More information about formatting options

This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.